Monday, January 22, 2007

Getting into Heaven....



I flip the radio stations frequently, and my one radio is analog, so flipping the radio stations means finding that sweet-spot on the dial. Unfortunately one of my preferred stations is right next to a religious station, and I get sucked into listening every now and then out of sheer fascination.

This morning, I heard a pastor explaining that science doesn't know what it's talking about. He said; if you ask what holds particles together, science can't really tell you. He said; scientists use words that go above your head, so they seem to sound like they know what they're talking about, but there are things they just can't explain. (Like they can't explain exactly what animal instinct is, he says.) He said; but the bible can explain it.

He was making some correlation between the book of revelations in the bible saying that the universe will be destroyed by fire and re-built by god, and that breaking atomic bonds (he actually said particle bonds once, and protein bonds once, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about atomic bonds) by fission causes "huge explosions."

I couldn't listen to much more considering how many wrong things I heard in all of 30 seconds.

*sigh* I'm no expert in nuclear physics, so I can't really get into explaining the forces at work within atoms, or how fission works, or even animal instincts, you can read up on that if you so choose. But obviously, there are explanations for these phenomenon.

I try my damnedest to be sure that I get the facts straight when I'm arguing for or against something, and I know I make mistakes, but I do try to do a bit of research, I try to quote the bible correctly, and I really wish that them preachers would quote science correctly. I wish preachers would have the same consideration or they should just avoid talking about things they know nothing about instead of just lying.

To them I say:

1) Just because science can't totally explain it doesn't mean god did it.
2) Just because you can't understand it, even if science can explain, it doesn't mean god did it.
3) Just because you ignore the science doesn't mean god did it.
4) You can't retro-actively attribute the bible to "knowing" things about science after science discovers it. You haven't predict shit from the bible, (yea, I'm talking to you with the "the end is near" poster) and until you do, I'll just act like that the earth will last forever and acknowledge we should take care of it as-such.
5) You can't pro-actively induce biblical predictions and call it god's will.

4 Comments:

Blogger beepbeepitsme said...

RE: the comic

You know, I had never heard of the multiple pig suicide before. I guess this is why some christians go in for exorcism and faith healing.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Excellent post. Those same pastors thrive on the fact that they are trusted blindly through faith. Check out my the definition of faith on my page. ;)

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's my comic! I'd love to be added to your very long list of atheist websites! Thanks.

11:43 PM  
Blogger new.atheist said...

Russll's Teapot, you will definitely go on my list of regular sites I visit! You have a lot of great ideas. I hope you didn't mind that I re-posted the comic here. I found it on reddit (where I get a lot of good ideas), and it was too good for me not to reference.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home