Thursday, January 11, 2007

Isn't that the point of An Inconvenient Truth?

I really need to watch An Inconvenient Truth, but I'm pretty sure I know most of what the movie gets at.

Some (christian) parents in Washington State are objecting to the movie An Inconvenient Truth being shown to their children in school. Apparently the movie presents Scientific Facts instead of what the Bible teaches about the earth *shudder.* Apparently the school board agrees that a credible opposing viewpoint must be presented. Is a young-earth-creationist's point of view that the bible is the truth credible? It definitely can't be presented in school. The only way to dispute facts is with lies... lies are never credible. I'm kind of tired of hearing this "Students should make their own decision" BS. That means presenting them with every crack-pot theory out there!

And other parents object to the movie on grounds that it's presenting the viewpoint that American's are "bad."

"From what I've seen (of the movie) and what my husband has expressed to me, if (the movie) is going to take the approach of 'bad America, bad America,' I don't think it should be shown at all," Gayle Hardison said. "If you're going to come in and just say America is creating the rotten ruin of the world, I don't think the video should be shown."


Oh for the love of gawd! I'm sure this woman has one spoiled little brat of a child, because this leads me to believe she doesn't want her child to ever feel he/she has done something wrong! This is not how to raise children. As children we all have to learn how to deal with being at fault and loosing the game, because if children don't learn these things, they find blame and loss hard to deal with as adults! You wind up with adults who don't apologize and get lawsuit-happy because it's not their fault they tripped on the sidewalk in their 6" heels.

I think that's why it's no longer called "Global Warming," it's called "climate change." (I won't get started on the games politicians and the media play with semantics right now...) People (Americans) don't want to feel like it's their fault or that they should make sacrifices. But isn't that the point of "An Inconvenient Truth?"

I remember as a child watching NOVA and hearing that, if trends continued, the planet would be significantly warmer by 2050. That perhaps much of California and the East-Coast would be under-water. I grew up with Global Warming looming overhead. I'm sorry that I can't say that I've done much personally to prevent it, but it seemed like such a world-wide problem, my efforts would just be like a drop in the ocean... I should remember that every drop in the bucket counts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home