Monday, November 20, 2006

Science searches for "god particle"

This "god particle" is better known as Higgs boson. I think articles like referring to it as the "god particle" thou because it gets a bit more attention that way. My first thought reading the headline from digg was "what's this now? Somehow god got a particle?" The name was given to indicate that this particle was somehow what tripped off the universe into existence. I believe it received the name "god particle" through the book of that name from 1993 by Leon Lederman.

The big bang is still quite a mystery, and while I understand a desire to understand it's beginnings, I think calling whatever initiated the universe the "god particle" is a bit of a misnomer. It does get people's attention, but I just think it's a tad in-appropriate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home