Saturday, November 25, 2006

Wonderful telling of Bible stories

What would someone tell their children if they took all of the bible literally?

Although Beth was a good girl who said her prayers every night and always paid attention to her elders, she still found many things in life confusing. It was during these times of puzzlement that Beth sought a warm seat on her mother's lap. There, teased by smells drifting out from the kitchen, she would listen her mother's soft voice dispensing wisdom and kindness and love.

And so it was that Beth came home from school one day with a question for her mother.
"Mother," Beth said, "one of the kids at school told me that way back a long time ago people used to be monkeys. Is that true?"
Her mother smiled gently down at her, caressed her golden hair with one hand, and spoke in a soft, comforting voice. "Of course not, Dear One," she said. "That's a silly idea. People don't look much like monkeys, do they?"
"Well, no. But then where did people come from?" Beth asked.
"The Bible holds all the answers, Dear One. All you need to do is listen to its words and not ask too many questions. Come sit on the couch with me and I'll tell you a story from the Bible that will show you what I mean," said her mother....

Read on.

2 Comments:

Blogger beepbeepitsme said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh scary bible stories..

8:07 PM  
Blogger new.atheist said...

I never realized how scary some of these stories really were! They didn't sound so bad in the Children's Bible I had had.

And I remember bible stories from when I was a child, and all the stories used the words "relations" or "become familiar with" or "to know" as euphemisms for sex. I definitely find it funny how I didn't realize how much sex was really going on in the bible!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home