Monday, December 18, 2006

I was listening to NPR (like usual) this morning, and they had a new "This I Believe." Todays was a piece by Richard Rohr titled Utterly Humbled by Mystery.

I wasn't paying too much attention, I was weaving in/out of traffic at the time, but this was the part that my ears perked up at:

"My scientist friends have come up with things like "principles of uncertainty" and dark holes. They're willing to live inside imagined hypotheses and theories. But many religious folks insist on answers that are always true. We love closure, resolution and clarity, while thinking that we are people of "faith"! How strange that the very word "faith" has come to mean its exact opposite."

While I'll freely admit to never being able to know if there is no god, I still believe there is no god. I often come into conflict with people of "faith" who say they KNOW there is a god, and claim they have seen his works. If someone has truly seen the works of god; do they still have faith? Isn't it then no longer faith since they feel they have proof?

On another note, if you haven't listened to the "This I Believe" essay by Penn Jillette, titled "I believe that there is no god," I recommend that as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home