Thursday, February 01, 2007

Bless me Father, for I have sinned.....

Confession is one of those joys of the Catholic church I no longer experience. I didn't think it'd go over too well if I went in to talk to the priest and said "well, I don't believe in god... does that count as a sin? Since, since I don't believe in god, I don't believe in sin either?"

Someone did take on this experiment though, and picked Italy of all places! They gave various priests various "sins" to see their response. I find that a hilarious, and yet really intriguing experiment. Needless to say though, the Catholic church is a bit pissed. They take the whole sacrament pretty seriously.

Confession was usually a joke. When I was a child, we didn't have to go so often, even in Catholic school. But I've heard tell stories of children who were supposed to go every week before church (you couldn't receive communion without a clean soul) and these kids would make up all kinds of bad behavior, just to have something to talk to the priest about. When my friends and I would get out of confession, we'd always compare how many prayers we had to say. I don't think any of us ever had anything horrible to confess, but I was always curious what the conversion chart of sin-to-prayer was. If, in 4th grade, I had told the priest I had killed someone, or perhaps just something, what would they have done? It's something I often wish I had had the courage to test.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Mann said...

As a former Catholic who went to confession almost weekly and who went to many different priests, I too can confirm that they are far from uniform in their application of moral norms.

The priests should have said that the guys shouldn't be having sex with his girlfriend in the first place.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home