Tuesday, February 06, 2007

CNN's view on Atheists

In case you haven't seen, I'll link to the CNN clips below from Paula Zahn, Jan 31st:






Here's where I found them at:
TPO's Myspace Blog

In the first video, they present the view that Atheists aren't liked because they present lawsuits against things like: prayer in school, god bless america, one nation under god, in god we trust, etc.

I'm pretty damn sure the christians out there would be upset if any one of those things were changed from god to Buddah, or Vishnu, or Flying Spagetti Monster, but Atheists just want them removed, not replaced, in order to maintain seperation of church and state. The gov doesn't need to remind people what religion they are, and it's not like we're advocating the gov promote atheism; just don't promote any super-natural being!

The second clip... where would I begin? I guess I'll begin with; piss poor panel! How about a balanced view? (But I guess they use this same panel for a variety of issues.)

So... Karen Hunter says we need some better PR and some Halmark Cards eh? And Prayer equals morality? I wasn't aware of that. Debbie Schlussel keeps insisting "this is a christian nation" and that's just as stupid as saying "this is a straight nation" or even "this is a white nation." At least Stephen Smith had the balls to say that even though he disagrees with atheists, he understands the struggle.

This bigotry shall pass too, but only if we fight for it just as other minorities have. You don't have to accept my point of view, but in America, you have to respect my right to have my point of view and my right to not have god pushed down my throat. But I think most atheists are too nice about it, and I don't think that's a bad thing to be nice about it, but it's the sort of issue where the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It's sad, but someone's gotta stand up and be an asshole about it for the issue to get any attention.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've linked to your post in an updated version of my original February 1 post on the issue:

http://atheism.about.com/b/a/258728.htm

7:15 AM  
Blogger new.atheist said...

Thank you for the link Austin!

Anyone who is reading this should definitely check out Austin's article on the whole situation. It's a good run-down, and well written.

This all just reminded me to break out my wallet and cross out "in god we trust" on all the cash I have. I really have to remember to do that more often.

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just say one thing: it looks like it is pretty scary to be an atheist in the US.

And yes, what a balanced panel...talk about spinning things...

5:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It is interesting that I find your blog while searching for something that I saw on CNN today. CNN clip was titled "Attacking Christians" and was discussing a "poll" taken in which people were apparently asked "Do Christians annoy you?"

My Kids were with me when this came on and were as appalled as I. Since when did news reporting extend into the realm of assaulting others for our faith?

Well anyway dear one, if you are still looking for answers to any questions you may be still asking yourself about God, please look up some of my articles. Just search for my name in Google, or go to Helium.com to look up my writing.

My name is Marty Schmoldt, and I have taken much time to present some fair and balanced information on the topic. God bless you as we continue our journey to the grave, and my your path lead one day to eternal life in Him, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home